Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day 7 of the Sew-A-Long

Today is the second last day of the Sew-A-long. 

I will wrap everything up on Monday. (I need the time because it is looking like the finish needs some testing!)

At this point in the process you will have to have your finishing kit. Lucky for me, mine arrived yesterday. These little parts were impossible for me to find anywhere, so I ordered them from byAnnie
(I apologize for these highlighted areas, I have no idea where they came from, or how to get rid of them)





These pieces need to be on your front piece before you you add the zipper so you should get them ready! More about that Monday.

Now we are ready to make the zipper.


My first suggestion is to go to byAnnie's Website and watch all the zipper tutorials. Whether you are sewing along or not... these are great videos! ( the links don't work here.. you need to go to: http://www.byannie.com/zippers_videos/ to see the videos!


Unfortunately, this zipper is not one of the video tutorials,  but it is very easy to make.

You need to prepare your side flaps by folding the pieces in half ...


Then attach the two pieces to each side of the zipper by sewing them about 1/8" from the zipper teeth...



You can see the little tailors tacks at each end of the zipper. These will help keep your zipper tab on the zipper after you cut the zipper to fit!

Next you will sew the end pieces on to the zipper. You will layer all three pieces and sew across the end.


Now these end pieces get attached to the other end of the zipper to form a tube.


And your zipper is done. 


I generally love putting together zippers and find them very easy to do. This was no exception!

I will be spending the next few days putting together the bag and I will have the final tutorial on Monday. Let me know if you are working on one of these little bags. I would love to see pictures!

This was one of the first wall hangings I designed when I started
quilting again after a long hiatus, raising kids and buying running shoes.
Who could afford to quilt!



1 comment:

AimeeDP said...

Well, my kit arrived yesterday, too! Thank you so much Notion Nanny and By Annie. I look forward to having a chance to buy the pattern and put this little bag together, using all your fantastic instructions, of course!
Aimee xoxo